Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Here We Go Again

Life has been just to busy to get on here and fill you in. I don't know how Ima had so much time to write. After reading the rules for the Mountain Valley EMMO in Heber City, Utah I decided it might be worth taking the change and competing again. I like the way their thinking. Other then the high possibility of bad weather, the Heber City Cowboy Poetry Gathering and Buckaroo Festival looks like a must see event. Check out their website and come on over.
After just 5 days into this deal I have figured out I need to get a new set of friends! I emailed all my close horseman about entering...... I think in hindsight actually looking for someone to talk me out of it. Couldn't find a one! After that trip I need friends with better common sense!
The finals will be November 7 in Heber City near Salt Lake City. So of course I had to drive to SLC to pick up my horse. Since I have a brand new pick-up truck and a fairly new trailer with brand new hubs, drums the works. I figured now would be the time to do something like this. I looked for a couple of co-pilots but everyone was busy (with their horses of course). So I took my faithful dog!
Here's where the fun began. I watched the weather and it said 80 from Sac to SLC. Weeeeeeee! no heat wave. What I didn't pay attention to was 'isolated thundershowers'. The whole state of Neveda is isolated. Murphy's law! I hit Reno with the wipers on and did not turn them off until Utah. High Wind Warnings for 100's of miles.... What was I thinking!! What should have been a 10 hour trip.. was 14 hours of misery and I was only to Wendover (120 miles from SLC). And low and behold an over site on my part 15 miles from Wendover I peel the treat off a trailer tire. I limped into Wendover, stayed in the truck stop until 8am when the tire place opened... so the fancy business card said....









This is the 'fancy' tire shop outside of Wendover. Murphy's law it was the biggest week of the year in Wendover..... Speed Week at the Bonneville Salt flats Speedway. There was 700 cars racing 5 miles past this tire shop.... Who would guess... He had 1 tire left that would fit my trailer.

The highly qualified tire repair man (who even slept in the tire repair office.... the one up on blocks.. told me all my tires were weather cracked and said: "I sure hope you get where you are going with those". Murphy's Law!

I thanked him and drove back to the highway here is what I saw as I looked left and right for traffic:








SLC here I come........

No comments:

Post a Comment