Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Day 3 for Murphy

Murphy is definitely going to make me a better horseman. I will really have to step it up to make him "be all he can be". He has the attention span of a Bartlet Pear. Never stops moving, but forgets 2 feet later why he was moving and scares himself. He does not show any tendencies to kick or strike. Once I get his feet stopped, he is very sensible. But they don't stop very often. He is mortified of anything that flaps from a small rag to a saddle blanket. He seems fine with ropes any where around him, but nothing that flaps....


The flies and mosquitoes here are driving him crazy. He runs and kicks all evening and is covered with hives in the morning. On a positive note it helps with contact as it feels so good for me to pet him. But I feel so bad seeing how frustrated he is. I have to get a fly sheet on him! That was my goal today.

I started by moving him to the round pen and advancing my ground work. After some preparatory rope work I was able to get a surcingle on him.... sans the saddle pad which he still will not touch. It was close to 100 here so after a good work I figured it was a good time to introduce the water hose. I tried it on day 2 and he almost jumped out. Today was a success. By the end he was standing quite and even trying to drink from the hose..... here is Murphy after his first bath.











I came back in the afternoon and picked up where I left off. The morning session and bath really helped.... Here is Murphy sporting a brand new fly sheet. I hope he realizes what it is for. LOL I don't know how I will get it off..... the Velcro sound is very unacceptable to Murf the smurf! But he likes the color and the 'new car smell' the plastic has. NOT!





1 comment:

  1. Ha ha love the smell comment. You know when I first seen it I thought it was a full body sweat. I have one that looks almost identical!

    ReplyDelete