Wednesday, July 15, 2009

What's in a name?

A number of people asked me how Ima got here name. So I thought I would tell everyone:

It is old cowboy lore that it is bad luck to change a horse's name. This left me in a delima because I was supposed to name a horse that wasn't even mine. How could I do that? I kept trying to think of a name people I didn't even know would like. I kept coming up with the fact, it just wasn't right to name a horse that wasn't mine. And I definitely didn't want it changed.

Then I came up with "Your Horse". Because I thought of how it would sound over the loud speakers: "And now Sue Watkins riding your horse". Say it out loud, it does sound rather funny! Good! I had a name that no one could change. No matter what the new adopters wanted to call her at home, she would still be 'your horse'.

Now for a 'barn' name. I started to just call her 'Y' or why. Because I figured she was wondering Y she was here and I was wondering Y I was doing this.. A women over 50, breaking wild mustangs..... And about 10 years ago I wrote a short story that was published in a magazine, it was also titled "Y". So I felt good with a name of just "Y", most of my clients and friends, not so much.

So one evening I got a call: IMA! I've got it. Call her I'ma my friend said to me. Ima is a nice old fashioned girls name and she can be "I'ma Your Horse".

So there ya go. Ima Your Horse it was.

Hope you are all finding time to get in the saddle. There is no better view!!

1 comment:

  1. Didn't know Sue ever thought about horses one way or the other. It sounds neat to me all the same.

    ReplyDelete